the Romney Marsh.net
Lydd is the second largest centre of population on the Romney Marsh after New Romney, with a population of about 5,500.
The most southerly village in Kent, Lydd reached the height of its prosperity during the 13th century, when it was a corporate member of the Cinque Ports. Actually located on Denge Marsh, Lydd was one of the first sandy islands to form as the bay evolved into what is now called the Romney Marsh. The name Hlyda, which derives from the Latin word for "shore", was found in a Saxon charter dating from the 8th century. The parish of Lydd comprises the town of Lydd, Dungeness, Lydd-on-Sea and parts of Greatstone.
Lydd is twinned with Etrechy in the Paris & Īle-de-France region of France.
All Saints Church
All Saints Church, also known as Lydd Church or The Cathedral on the Marsh, belongs to the Diocese of Canterbury. All Saints is the longest parish church in Kent at 199 feet (61 m), and also has one of the tallest towers in the county at 132 feet (40 m). The church is thought to incorporate a small Romano-British basilica possibly built in the 5th century, though most of the current fabric is medieval.
Located in the centre of the town, Coronation Square, overlooked by All Saints Church, housed stables when it was known as Wheeler's Green. A half timbered house on the edge of the square is still know by this name. The name of the square was changed to Coronation in 1901 to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII. The square is also home to one of the oldest and smallest surviving timbered-framed court halls in Kent.
A triangular common, known as the Rype, was supposedly given to the Barons of Lydd by the Archbishop of Canterbury, in return for their having repulsed the Danes in 904. Once an area of common land now a registered village green owned by Lydd council in the centre of the town.
The Rype is host to Lydd Club Day, an annual local Carnival held on on the third Saturday of June. It was established in 1868. Apart from a brief cessation during the war years, has taken place annually ever since. The day features a funfair, boot fair in the morning, stalls and children's dressing up in the afternoon and floats in the evening.
Lydd Town Museum
Museum with an excellent collection of artefacts, all having been used in Lydd in years gone by. Lydd Town Museum
Lydd Airport, now called London Ashford Airport, is a small local airport located just over a mile from Lydd. It mainly operates private flights but does have commercial flights to Le Touquet in France every weekend.
Planning proposals have been submitted to expand the airport but its location adjacent to the nuclear power stations and nature reserves on Dungeness has caused serious concerns. Please visit the Lydd Airport Action Group website for more information.
Lydd developed as a settlement during the Romano-British period on a shingle island when the coast at the time cut off Lydd from the mainland. The settlement continued into the Saxon period, with the Saxon church using Roman materials as part of its early construction.
The town reached the height of its prosperity during the 13th century, when it was a corporate member of the Cinque Ports, as a "limb" of Romney.
As with much of the Marsh, the town was a base for smuggling in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Lydd gave its name to Lyddite, a form of high explosive widely used during both the Boer War and First World War, most notably during the latter by the British. Lyddite, composed of molten and cast picric acid, was first tested at the military camp in Lydd in 1888.
Lydd was at one time a garrison town and the area is still used as military firing range for the armed forces with Lydd Ranges is a south of Lydd, in Kent, England. It extends as far as the coast. Because the range is used for live firing access is sometimes restricted - red flags are flown during these times, access is prohibited along the foreshore and Galloways Road. The Danger area extends out to sea and mariners sailing to and from Rye Harbour must pass south of the Stephenson Shoal to avoid it.